Friday, April 1, 2011

Chicken with Rosemary Sauce

Real conversation from my apartment last week:
Omnivore fiance takes a bite of Gardein chicken.
Fiance: "This is the best you've ever made this!"
Me: "All I did was heat it in a skillet."
Omnivore fiance takes a second bite.
Fiance: "That's it.  I'm sold.  I love vegan chicken.  This is so good." [Pause] "Because what I hate about real chicken is that you always have to be afraid of what's in it nowadays.  With this, it tastes just as good but there's no reason to be afraid."
Me: Happy Vegan.

I promised him that I'd do something a bit fancier than just heating the Gardein chicken in a skillet, and this dish fits the bill - the sauce requires few ingredients and little time, but adds elegant flavor.

Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 4 Gardein Tuscan chicken breasts (without sauce)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup vegan dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 cup vegan chicken broth (prepared from Not Chick'n bouillon)
  • 1/2 cup plain non-dairy creamer
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle the chicken evenly with the salt and pepper, then add to the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side.

2. Add the green onions, white wine, and rosemary; cook for 30 seconds.  Stir in the chicken broth; cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in the creamer; cook for a final 2 minutes.


Add simple side dishes (white rice and mixed veggies were on the menu in my apartment tonight) to round out the meal.

Nutrition Info:
4 servings (1 chicken breast, about 3 tablespoons sauce), Calories 183 

Tasting Notes:
Tasty, but I would make a couple of changes to make it even better next time; definitely increase the fresh rosemary - I'd say to as much as 1 tablespoon.  As it was, the green onion overpowered everything else.  I would also remove the chicken from the pan towards the end of cooking, but continue to simmer the sauce until reduced and thickened, since it was a bit watery.   Luckily serving the dish over rice helped me catch the flavor.

Rating:
3

No comments:

Post a Comment