- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 Ener-G egg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegan powdered sugar
2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, buttermilk, molasses, butter, and Ener-G egg, whisking until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
3. Spoon the batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes; a wooden pick inserted in the center should come out clean (you may need to bake a couple minutes longer). Cool in the pan on a wire rack before sprinkling evenly with the powdered sugar. Cut into 25 small squares.
*To prepare the buttermilk, place 1 and 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup, and fill with plain non-dairy milk to equal 1/2 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes to clabber (sour) before adding to the recipe as directed.
25 servings (1 square), Calories 84
Deep, dark molasses taste - almost chocolate-y. These yummy little squares had a very old-fashioned feel and flavor, and were closer to brownies than cookies. My complaint is that they were more molasses squares than gingerbread squares; I'd increase the spices next time. Although I wondered about the small portion sizes, a little really goes a long way with these tasty bites, since the flavor is rich and intense.