For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup vegan sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 6 cups trimmed watercress
- 4 cups sliced apricots
- 3 cups halved and pitted cherries*
2. Arrange 1 cup watercress on each of 6 plates. Top each serving with 2/3 cup apricot slices and 1/2 cup cherries.
3. Drizzle 2 tablespoons vinaigrette over each salad.
*Use your cherry pitter folks, or this could take all night.
6 servings (1 cup watercress, 2/3 cup apricots, 1/2 cup cherries, 2 tablespoons vinaigrette), Calories 184
All that sugar in the dressing definitely makes it sweet, but it is surprisingly well tempered by the mustard and lime juice, for a pleasing overall taste. That said, you could safely decrease the sugar to 1/4 cup if you'd prefer to use less, and I don't think you'd miss much. Either way, the sweet dressing is perfect over the peppery watercress, so don't swap out another green. My apricots tonight were just so-so, but I had the sweetest most perfect cherries ever - who needs candy when fruit is this delish?